St. Stephen's and St. Agnes School is one of the six Episcopal Church Schools in the Diocese of Virginia and has a long tradition of providing an excellent college preparatory education in Northern Virginia.
We began as two separate schools, St. Agnes, founded in 1924, and St. Stephen's, founded in 1944. The schools were established by Alexandria Episcopalians who sought to provide intellectual, physical, and moral development in an independent school for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. St. Agnes offered kindergarten through twelfth for girls, and also included boys from kindergarten until second grade. St. Stephen’s opened as the only Episcopal day school in Alexandria for boys offering third through eighth grade during its founding year. However the need in the community for a day school option for the upper grades was immediately seen and grades ninth through twelfth were soon offered. The two schools merged to form a co-educational school in 1991.