• MENU

List of 16 items.

  • Mrs. Kirsten Prettyman Adams

    Kirsten Prettyman Adams began serving as St. Stephen’s and St. Agnes head of school in July 2014. An outstanding educator, administrator, and scholar, she brings great insight from her leadership roles at three highly regarded independent schools in Maryland, the District of Columbia, and Texas. Mrs. Adams has a passion for the environmental sciences and a strong commitment to the school’s Episcopal identity. She seeks to infuse the students and staff with a continued dedication to excellence and a celebration of joy.
  • Mrs. Joan G. Ogilvy Holden

    Mrs. Joan G. Ogilvy Holden began as St. Agnes’ new headmistress in 1984. Her spirit and leadership helped guide the school through its merger with St. Stephen’s School in 1991. Hallmarks of Mrs. Holden’s leadership were building a strong community, demonstrating a commitment to multiculturalism and diversity, being a lifelong learner, and encouraging innovation among students, faculty, and staff. Mrs. Holden served as head of school for 30 years, retiring in 2014.
  • Mr. Clifton R. Titus, Jr.

    Mr. Clifton R. Titus, Jr. served twice as Acting Headmaster, and once as Headmaster of St. Stephen’s School. He also served as the Assistant Head of School for St. Stephen's & St. Agnes School from 1991-1992, as well as Acting Head of School in 1994-1995, while Joan Holden was on sabbatical.  During his years of service at St. Stephen’s School, Mr. Titus also served as teacher, coach, admissions director, and summer school director.
  • Reverend Thomas N. F. Shaw

    The Reverend Thomas N. F. Shaw served as interim Head of School for St. Agnes for the 1983-1984 school year.
  • Miss Martha Jarvis

    Miss Martha Jarvis served as acting Head of School for St. Agnes during the second half of the 1982-1983 school year. She was also an integral part of the school’s administration team from 1977 until 1991. 
  • Reverend Edwin M. Ward

    The Reverend Edwin M. Ward served as the head of St. Stephen’s School from 1982-1989. Reverend Ward’s goal was to ensure that St. Stephen’s teachers took the time to get to know individual students. He encouraged teachers to lead by positive reinforcement and reward, and believed strongly in inspiration as a helpful teaching tool. Before coming to St. Stephen’s School, Reverend Ward was head of the Salisbury School in Salisbury, Connecticut. Reverend Ward also attended Emory University, the Virginia Theological Seminary, and the Graduate School of Theology at the University of the South.
  • Reverend Joseph B. Doty

    The Reverend Joseph B. Doty served as headmaster of St. Stephen’s from 1978-1980. Reverend Doty believed that St. Stephen’s students should have the independence to experiment with their learning experience. He also thought that St. Stephen’s should be a school where Christian attitudes and standards are upheld. Reverend Doty entered the Episcopal Church’s ministry in 1970 and held degrees in classical languages, philosophy, and theology. Before coming to St. Stephen’s School, Reverend Doty served as assistant headmaster at National Cathedral School for Girls and as headmaster at Georgetown Prep.
  • Mr. Robert E. Leipheimer

    Mr. Robert E. Leipheimer served as headmaster of St. Agnes School from 1978-1982. Mr. Leipheimer received a bachelor’s degree from the Indiana University of Pennsylvania in 1965, a master’s degree in American History and Literature at the University of Maryland in 1969, and a Doctoral Study in higher education at the University of Michigan from 1970-1971. Mr. Leipheimer was the first male head of St. Agnes and believed in the importance of providing an excellent education for women.
  • Reverend Emmett H. Hoy Jr.

    The Reverend Emmett H. Hoy Jr. served as headmaster of St. Stephen’s School from 1956-1975. Reverend Hoy was born in Petersburg, Virginia and graduated from both Hampden-Sydney College and the Virginia Theological Seminary, where he also earned a Doctor of Divinity. He was the president of the Association of Independent Schools of Greater Washington and chairman of the board of trustees for the Council for Religion in Independent Schools. Under his administration, St. Stephen’s expanded its facilities and enrollment and moved to St. Stephens Road.
  • Mr. Willis H. Wills

    Mr. Willis H. Wills was a teacher at St. Stephen’s School for 35 years; he also served as Acting Headmaster in both 1955 and 1980. Students remember Mr. Wills not only as a teacher and academic dean, but also as a Coast Guardsman, a craftsman, a businessman, all combined with a diplomatic personality. Besides his many responsibilities at SSS, Mr. Wills always had a sense of kind humor and shared that with his students. Before he taught at St. Stephen’s School, Mr. Wills graduated from the University of Richmond.
  • Miss Norma L. Smith

    Miss Norma L. Smith was a well-loved English teacher at St. Agnes School for 21 years. She also served as the Academic Dean and a college counselor. In addition, she served as Acting Headmistress for the last half of the 1976-1977 school year.
  • Miss Roberta C. McBride

    Miss Roberta C. McBride was the head of St. Agnes School from 1952-1977. Miss McBride was a graduate of Smith College with a master’s degree from Columbia University. During her time at St. Agnes she oversaw the building of both Daniel and Sinclair Halls. Miss McBride was a firm believer in the student government and she encouraged St. Agnes students to be involved in the school and have a voice in the decisions that were made. In addition, she founded the school’s current honor system and initiated annual Rosslyn conferences which allowed student leaders to share their ideas with members of the faculty.
  • The Reverend Edward E. Tate

    The Reverend Edward E. Tate served as the first headmaster of St. Stephen’s from 1944-1954. He graduated from the University of Virginia in 1933 and the Virginia Theological Seminary in 1936. He became rector of Emmanuel (Episcopal) Church in Alexandria in 1940 where he also served as chaplain for St. Agnes School. During his tenure as Rector he worked with the Church Schools in the Diocese of Virginia to establish an Episcopal boys’ school for the growing population of Alexandria. Rev. Tate founded St. Stephen’s School in 1944 and became the full time headmaster of the new school.
  • Mrs. Helen Arny Macan

    Helen Arny Macan was head of St. Agnes School from 1934-1951. Mrs. Macan based her academic plan for St. Agnes upon sound academics and always inspired intellectual curiosity in her students. Mrs. Macan’s background included Bryn Mawr College, Lafayette College, Bread Loaf School of English, and extensive European travel. She was an active member of the Headmistresses Association and of the National Association of Principals of Schools of Girls.
  • Miss Marguerite E. Chapman

    Miss Marguerite E. Chapman was the second Headmistress of St. Agnes School from 1925 until 1933. Miss Chapman established a firm foundation for the new school that enabled it to survive and thrive. She worked tirelessly to increase enrollment, oversaw an expansion to Lloyd House, and lead the fledgling school through the Great Depression era.
  • St. Agnes School 1924

    Miss Mary Josephine White

    Miss Mary Josephine White was chosen as the first Principal of St. Agnes School in 1924. Miss White had been a teacher at St. Timothy’s School and National Park Seminary, both in Maryland, and at the Graham School in New York City. Before St. Agnes opened its doors for its first academic year, Miss White held office hours at Christ Church in nearby Alexandria, where she could enroll students and meet members of the Board of Trustees and other Alexandrians who were interested in sending their girls to St. Agnes.
St. Stephen's and St. Agnes School is an independent, college-preparatory, coed, day, Episcopal Church School that educates students in junior kindergarten through grade 12. The school consists of three, age-appropriate campuses (Lower, Middle, and Upper School) in Alexandria, Virginia. SSSAS welcomes families of all faiths. We offer challenging academics, a state-of-the-art performing arts center, and championship athletics. SSSAS is regarded as one of the top private schools in the Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C. area.

Lower School

Grades: JK-5
400 Fontaine Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22302

Middle School

Grades: 6-8
4401 West Braddock Road
Alexandria, Virginia 22304

Upper School

Grades: 9-12
1000 St. Stephen's Road
Alexandria, Virginia 22304