SSSAS makes it easy for all of us to be more efficient commuters, and to reduce our carbon footprint!
With 1,120 students and 250 faculty and staff, our school’s commuting is the second-highest source of our overall carbon emissions. SSSAS has pledged an 80% reduction of its carbon footprint by the year 2020 (we are more than one half of the way there having achieved a 41% reduction in carbon emissions). To reach this goal, our Transportation Department offers families many options to reduce the number of car trips they take. The options encourage carpooling, allow convenient bus transportation, and encourage the use of free shuttle buses between our three campuses for Saints students.
The bus fleet at SSSAS provides service to the major jurisdictions: Alexandria, Fairfax, Arlington, and Prince William Counties in Virginia; Prince George’s County in Maryland; and the District of Columbia. The service picks students up from specific locations in their communities.
Morning and afternoon shuttles run between the three SSSAS campuses to reduce the need for families to drive between campuses. This is convenient for those who live near one campus, with children attending class on another campus, to avoid traffic congestion. Each campus has morning and afternoon departures to the other two campuses and the Braddock Road Metro. There is no charge for the shuttle service for SSSAS students.
|LOWER SCHOOL CAMPUS
400 Fontaine Street
Alexandria, VA 22302
|MIDDLE SCHOOL CAMPUS
4401 West Braddock Road
Alexandria, VA 22304
|UPPER SCHOOL CAMPUS
1000 St. Stephen's Road
Alexandria, VA 22304
||Main Phone: 703-571-7100
The Braddock Road Metro (Yellow and Blue lines) is three miles from the SSSAS Upper School. SSSAS provides free morning and afternoon shuttles to and from the Metro station from all three campuses for SSSAS students. The Braddock Road Metro station is also the location of bus stations for the Fairfax Connector, Metrobus, and DASH (city of Alexandria) bus services.
Find a Carpool Partner!
It’s easy to pair up with a carpool partner at SSSAS with the aid of the program “Carpool to School
." This program allows connection between families for short term and long-term carpool needs and allows the formation of walking and biking groups. How does it work?
Each family enrolled at SSSAS receives log-in information to the company, and then is allowed to place its requested routes and events on the site to find a family with similar requests. It also allows families to enter its most common destinations, such as the campus locations or recreational venues. The program sends text and email reminders once families form the carpool.
Walking Routes to Our Campuses
- Our Lower School campus has a continuous sidewalk along Fontaine Street that allows students to enter campus from the adjacent Jefferson Park neighborhood.
- The Middle School is served by a sidewalk along Braddock Road that ends at the Middle School campus entrance. There are internal sidewalks to the main entrance to the school.
- The Upper School campus is served by a continuous sidewalk along St. Stephen’s Road and the adjacent residential neighborhoods. There is a continuous sidewalk internal to the campus as well.
Bike Racks and Locations
- Each campus has at least one bike rack.
- At the Lower School, the bike racks are adjacent to Macan Hall and McBride Hall. At the Middle School, the bike rack is to the right of the front entrance. At the Upper School, the bike rack is located in the rear of the main building, by the tech lab entrance.
- Students should always ride with helmets and do a practice walk or bike ride with a parent prior to commuting via bicycle to test their safe route to school.